Helen Hapner is an associate in Ryan Swanson’s Litigation; Employment Rights, Benefits & Labor; and Corporate Bankruptcy, Restructuring & Finance groups. Her practice focuses primarily on general commercial litigation. She has experience in areas including appellate, tort, antitrust, bankruptcy, securities, and employment litigation. She has represented client interests at all stages of the litigation process, including at motion hearings and trial. Helen’s work includes drafting motions, briefs, pleadings and settlement agreements in federal, state, and arbitration proceedings.
While in law school, Helen served as Articles Editor of the University of Illinois Elder Law Journal, as a research assistant to the Co-Director for the Program in Law and Philosophy, and as a teaching assistant for Tort Law. Helen was also the recipient of several academic awards, including CALI Excellence for the Future Award in Negotiation Skills and Strategies, and honors distinctions in Legal Research, Legal Writing, and Oral Advocacy.
Outside of work, Helen enjoys running, hiking, and travel.
Recent Professional and Community Engagements
- Board Member of Illinois Law Alumni Seattle Chapter
- American Constitution Society, Co-Director of Media Outreach, September 2017 – September 2018
- Chicago Appleseed, Next Generation Board Member, July 2017 – December 2018
Publications & Speaking Engagements
- Co-, COVID-19: Options for Distressed Small Businesses in Washington, Oregon, and California (March, 2020)
- Presenter, “Recent Developments in State and Federal Law,” Ryan Swanson’s 31st Annual Employment Law Seminar (2019)
- Conversational Spanish